Saturday, February 21, 2009

Pleanty of "Clewes" Today!

What a day. Left the house this morning about 6:30 AM (that's not a particularly good time of the day for me). Why was I leaving out so early? Because I had a reserved spot in a group lesson with renown turner, Jimmy Clewes. Choice Woods was hosting Jimmy as part of the Grand Opening celebration of their new location. They are still in Louisville, but have moved from a very small location with no parking to a very spacious location with plenty of parking. Still lots of nice turning stock for what ever project you have in mind. Give them a look at www.choice-woods.com.

I really had no idea what to expect today. Clay had told me to bring standard tooling but to expect most anything. So I loaded my gear this morning and headed out for the lesson I've been looking forward to for about a month now. As I got there, Jimmy asked what I was looking to get out of this day. I told him that I really hadn't thought about it, that I have been turning for a few years not and wanted to get some further instruction. He suggested a box with a "pop" fitting lid. This project would allow for instruction in form and tool use. It also would be a good opportunity to learn to properly fit a lid on a box. So I jumped all this idea.

Had no hitches and completed a nice cherry box with a red palm inlay in the lid. And yes, the lid pops when I remove it. He told us that it was a simple thing and it really is. The trick is knowing how to make the subtle cuts that produce the friction needed. In the past I had tried to be so careful making the mating surfaces but simply could not make it work. One attempt to put the box together and it would not go together. The slightest adjustment, and the joint would be sloppy. Very frustrating.

Not only were taught technique, but there is one specialty tool that is made to make it all the easier. A simple tool really that most of us have used at one time or another. Jimmy showed us a parting tool that he had ground off at an angle. That simple little modification made all the difference in the world and made the pop fit box lid possible.

The joy of the day was the very end. Some of the projects was being completed, people were going home and Jimmy was in no hurry to go home. I got my second project to a point where I was ready to take it home and cleaned up my area. Before leaving, I went over to shake Jimmy's hand and thank him for the day. It really had been a pleasure. He thanked me for being a part of the class and then made a big deal out of the box that I turned. He complimented my work over all, the shape, the fit and finish. Jimmy could have just said that I did a good job, but he went so much further and complemented what had been produced and was specific about it.

I was just thinking the other day that I had not been in the shop for any amount of time since long before Christmas. Today was nearly 8 hours of shop time. It was not all turning, but I was in the shop and there were others there too. The time waiting for instructions was spent talking and sharing and helping others. Turning and teaching, two of my favorite things to do. I also decided to carve out some time each week to do more turning. I need it for my sanity. And boxes, well they are back on my list of fun things to turn.


Box, Cherry with Red Palm insert in the lid
Approx. 3" wide x 4" tall
Finish to this point is a friction polish, a mixture of shellac (same stuff to helps M&M's melt in your mouth, not in your hands) and bees wax. Not sure I'd want to drink the stuff, but once cured it is perfectly edible.

No comments:

Post a Comment