Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Busy Schedule?

I cannot believe that the end of March is already here. Yet March Madness is not only here, but we've nearly seen the end of it already. Somebody asked me the other day how I was doing. My immediate reaction was that I've been busier than I've ever been, but I've also gotten more work done and still had time for the things I want to do as well (except for turning). Seems that ever since the first of the year there has been one issue after another. We had deaths, ice storm, our building used as a shelter, more deaths, illnesses, the sale of our church building, getting together of our thoughts and ideas for the new building, the list goes on and on. Of course the routine stuff never stops just because the unusual has poked its head up.

I remember looking over my calendar on a Monday morning and thinking, "Finally, a week without fifteen extras stuck in." Boy was I wrong. I think that was the worst week of all. Lately I have had a day here and there where I could get into the shop and either straighten up a bit, or make a tool or jig I've been needing, or just turn for the fun of it. (I haven't forgotten I owe you a few pics.) The two things I haven't had the time or energy to do is to finish several pieces and take pictures of those I have finished. That will come.

I guess all this comes to mind right now because of the events of this day. I attended the funeral of a man who died at age 43. I didn't know him, but I know his aunt and uncle. What I know about his is that he contracted some rare disease that very few ever see the outside of a hospital. This man did indeed come home and had 2 great weeks with his wife and children. He made sure all the stuff that comes with dieing was taken care of for his family. While there were tears, there was also laughter. The pastor who presided talked about this man's "achieving."

My mind began to wonder a bit and think about the things I'd like to achieve in my life. I won't bore you with my list. I will challenge you to take some time. Ask yourself the questions concerning the importance of the stuff in your life. Does it really matter? What goals do you have? What will it take to achieve your goals? Are you on the way or simply dreaming about it? What memories are you building with your kids, your spouse, your friends, and even more important, your God? Most important, will the God of all creation find you, "a good and faithful servant?"

No comments:

Post a Comment